Wednesday, September 2, 2009

13. Jerk Chicken Breasts with Fresh Pineapple Salsa

September 1, 2009, Dinner
Page 154, 6 points for 1 chicken thigh with .5 cup salsa (4ish points for half breast?), 3.5/5 stars

As soon as I opened up the blender, I was smitten with the marinade. The fresh, strong, green scent of jalapenos, cilantro, soy, garlic and ginger hit me in the nose and made my mouth water. I was intrigued by the lack of oil and by the inclusion of allspice and cinnamon. I opted for chicken breasts even though I prefer dark meat (which the recipe actually calls for) figuring the white meat could get plenty moist soaking up the marinade for 8 hours plus I'd save on points. The salsa mostly consists of pineapple and red onions. No doubt the fruit is meant to counterbalance the spice of the jalapenos in the marinade. But once cooked, the chicken packed minimal spice heat, a disappointment to this hot food fan. Next time, I would use Serrano or habanero peppers. This recipe gets credit for its uniqueness, its lack of oil and for inspiring me to use allspice and cinnamon in a savory dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment